Sunday, February 20, 2011

Discovery



I’ve lived in Cedar Rapids for about 4 years now… and I had NO idea how much there was to do around here, and how many great places we all have for entertainment until I started this gig! I decided to check things out on Wednesday, and had to pleasure of going to 2 places I have never been before… Outskirts and La Cantina.

Outskirts, over by Kirkwood, had a nice little vibe to it… friendly people right off the bat. Although I left before the karaoke started, I was able to simply get to enjoy those that were there. The night included playing pool, and even teaching one of the patrons how to play the card game Rummy (I always keep a deck in my purse - you’d be surprised how often I’m happy I have them with me!). I’m so happy I now have a new place to hang out and enjoy!

After the cards and pool, I was hungry, so it was off to La Cantina, where I had some fantastic food. The warm chips and dip for free were the perfect appetizer to my chicken quesadilla… packed FULL of chicken & cheese and served with rice & beans, it took about 5 minutes for my friend and me to clean the plate! The wait staff was friendly, prompt and the music was the perfect atmosphere for a late night dinner! See, if I’d never started this gig, I never would have discovered some of the best chips and salsa I’ve had in LONG time!

With a full belly, I headed to Cedar River Landing where DJ Bryan Lee was kickin’ the beats. This place was PACKED full! The atmosphere was of people having a great time, enjoying the music, the drinks and the company of their friends.  Normally to me, bar music is just bar music and a DJ is just a DJ. But DJ Bryan Lee had something a little extra special about what he was playing that seemed to make everyone want to dance … I don’t think I saw a single person there that wasn’t at least bouncing their head to the music! It was the perfect ending to my evening!

All in all, it was a really fun night, I met some great people, ate some great food, and listened to some great music. I look forward to continuing to explore Cedar Rapids, and letting all YOU know what I thought! See you on the town!

No comments:

Post a Comment